Sunday, May 22, 2011

Never Let Me Go



I told myself to finish this book before start blogging about it, but I just can't hold it any longer. This is one of the few books that I felt totally blew away by the very first chapter. I guess it's because I have seen the movie before (which was directed by my favorite director, Mark Romanek) , so I knew the plot entirely. What blew me away is the fact that it feels completely different reading it. They are twice more compelling in the book.

This is a story about a bunch of cloned people, living in a so-called boarding school called Hailsham. They were raised with the will to sacrifice, later to be known that they were cloned and only live their short lives as normal people's walking spare organs. They'll soon be dead after the third important organ are donated. The irony is that, even if they were cloned, they were made of ordinary people who can love or can be loved. They can create arts and live up their lives. What ironically romantic is they don't feel panic with their destiny at all. Instead of dreaming about future, we'll get to read the reminiscences of these poor people about their childhood, first love and stuff, knowing the clock is ticking away and they don't have much time left.

Judged by the book appearance, you won't notice that the story is technically a Science fiction, if you count a sci-fi as a story that include the technology that does not yet exist. And that what makes it special because Never Let Me Go still can be so shockingly melancholic under that category.  

No comments:

Post a Comment