Monday, October 31, 2011

HAPPY TOGETHER



I'm blogging this three days after I first saw Happy Together. From the time I finished it till now, I can tell it is growing in me as it keeps getting more personal, and I still awe of Chungking Express that I watched years ago.

And that makes me want to find out what's so special about Wong Kar-Wai's movies. One thing I can recall is that he knows how to snatch perfect proportion between visual and audio to cook up urban sensation so brilliantly. It's easy to tell which is his film by those slow-motions, eye level shots, sloppy apartments, witty uses of western music, his signatures are all over the place. In many ways, his film shares a lot of resemblances to French/Italian art house films in 50s-60s, only in Cantonese language.

Happy Together is one fine piece that won him best director from Cannes and nominations back in 1997. The story about two Chinese men on the trip to see Iguazu fall in Argentina. Once they got lost, they found out their relationship did not work anymore. They ended up stuck in the middle of nowhere, one tried to escape to Hong Kong, another tried to escape the relationship. The plot is as simple as that, but through well-done psychological interpretation in each sentence, the chemical between Leslie Cheung and Leung Chiu-Wei, the scenes of Argentina (that amazingly feels like Hong Kong), to the slow corrosive ending where Happy Together by The Turtles plays, it turns out mesmerizing. 

I have watched this film three times already since the last three days. I think I'm in love with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment